Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Conditioner Was In)

I bet that's the first blog post to pun on a Mickey Newbury song in months! Anyway, as the title and the disclaimer above suggest, this is a post about Dove conditioner. So, Joey Lawrence, there is nothing here for you. But you (not just Joey Lawrence; all of you) could win a $1,000 Spafinder gift certificate, so there's that. Woah, right? (Okay, that was mostly directed at Joey again. He loves a good Blossom reference.)

I have a whole mess of posts tagged to "hair woes," so you all know that my battle to make my coif look less like a Muppet's is ongoing. And believe me, it is a battle. According to a woman I once paid a large sum of money to cut my locks, curly hair requires special care and delicate attention, much like a giant panda, or Kelly Bensimon. Here are the steps I am supposed to follow:
  1. Get in shower and give the side-eye to any and all shampoo bottles. SHAMPOO IS NOT MY FRIEND.
  2. Apply conditioner by gently cupping and squeezing it onto individual sections of hair, avoiding the scalp.
  3. Get out of shower sopping wet and proceed to hand-wring my hair with an old t-shirt. Do not even LOOK at a towel for fear of unsightly frizz.
Needless to say, I do not do any of this. If I manage to fit in a shower and remember to wash my hair while I'm busy just standing there enjoying the sensation of having no one trying to grab my boobs, I just use whatever I can reach without too much effort: shampoo, body wash, malt liquor, honey badger don't care. And when I step out of the shower into the three inches or so of water I've managed to spill on the bathroom floor because the shower curtain doesn't close all the way, you'd better believe I'm going for a towel. Or, more accurately, TWO towels, one for my bod and another one to wrap turban-style around my hair so I can pretend I'm Norma Desmond, or Punjab from Annie.

Which is all a long way of saying, my hair doesn't usually look that good.

So I was more than pleased to receive a bottle of Dove Daily Moisture conditioner in the mail. Just having conditioner in the shower makes it that much more likely that I will use it and look instantly more presentable.

I'm not being paid to say this, but I am a big fan of Dove products, largely thanks to their Campaign for Real Beauty. And this conditioner did not disappoint.

First of all, it opens from the bottom. I know this seems like an insignificant detail, but dudes. Can all bath product companies just get on this? I can't be the only one who confronts a frightening Jenga-like stack of precariously balanced upside down shampoo bottles that rain down on me like cartoon anvils as soon as I reach for the soap.

So, yes, the Dove conditioner had me at its bottom opening (I KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS, SHUT UP). But it also smells good, pleasantly but unidentifiable floral, with a hint of soapy sharpness to keep it from being sickly sweet. It's not too heavy and leaves hair feeling incredibly silky upon rinsing, especially if you leave it on for three minutes while you half-assedly shave your legs with your husband's razor (again, I can't be the only one).

And, the ultimate test... drumroll please... it left my hair looking lovely and frizz-free even though I still used a towel.

Before:

After:
Baby and top hat not furnished by Dove.
So I can happily recommend Dove Daily Moisture conditioner, especially for all of you curly girls.

Okay, here's the fun part where you get to win stuff.

Which celebrity's hair do you most covet? (You can't say Phil Spector; he's MINE.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Leaving a comment on this post is NOT an entry in the Spafinder sweepstakes. Follow the link below--after a), where it says "follow this link"--or enter using one of the other methods outlined in the rules below. Good luck! And good hair!

__

Enter to win a $1,000 Spafinder gift certificate!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY

COMMENTS TO THIS POST ARE NOT SWEEPSTAKES ENTRIES. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR ENTRY METHODS FOR THIS SWEEPSTAKES.

You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:

a) Follow this link, and provide your email address and your response to the Promotion prompt

b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: "#SweepstakesEntry"; and then visit this link to provide your email address and the URL to that Tweet.

c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and then visit this link to provide your email address and the URL to that post.

This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. Winners will have 72 hours to claim the prize, or an alternative winner will be selected.

The Official Rules are available here.

This sweepstakes runs from 9/4/2012 - 9/30/2012

Be sure to visit Dove®Hair.com to get a coupon for $1.50 off Dove Hair Therapy products.
Share/Bookmark

6 comments :

  1. Using SLS-free shampoo has made a huge difference in my hair. BUT I refuse refuse REFUSE to call it "no-poo" shampoo. Whoever thought of that name is an idiot. No shampoo should have "poo" in it, therefore no shampoo should require the distinction of having "no-poo".
    Also, S is so adorable. Your hair + Jeff's hair = amazing baby curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, my mom buys me "Low-Poo" EVERY CHRISTMAS and Jeff always laughs. And thanks! He does have amazing hair. It sort of naturally settles into a rockabilly mullet, which I hope will last into adulthood.

      Delete
  2. That picture of you with your baby is so beautiful it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pic of you and the babe! My little girls are VERY curly gals, and we never use shampoo on them. (Since their arrival though, I myself use anything from dish soap to laundry detergent to clean my own hair. That's in the 10 seconds of privacy I have to clean up.) Thanks for the chance to hope that I win the spafinder g.c. Wow, do I need some TLC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Phil Spector??? Who goes to court looking like that?? Isn't that an auto-insanity-plea??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...