Monday, January 17, 2011

Chocolate Lust

A story for MLK Day
By Una LaMarche

When I was a little girl, I loved chocolate. There are countless photos of me with it all over my face. I didn’t just love the taste of chocolate; I loved its deep, rich color, too, and as a result I loved all black people. I was, I am told, beside myself that I was so pasty and white.

One day, my mother and I were on the bus and I was seated next to a young African-American boy with very dark brown skin. I stared at him reverently, as he, I imagine, shifted slowly away from the crazy-eyed white girl. And then, unable to contain myself, I spoke.

“I love chocolate.”

I pretty much realized Dr. King’s dream right there on the M4.

P.S. Yes, I know this is a repost from 2007; I'm not trying to put one over on you. It's just that I worked for seven hours straight live-blogging the Golden Globes last night and I'm spent. I know, I know, cry you a river. I'll do a fashion post tomorrow, promise.
Share/Bookmark

8 comments :

  1. ha, glad you shared it that was cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some posts need a re-post, I mean that's a great story! What did he say?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live blog was great! I ridiculed all the same stars in my head :) Totally unrelated--Please start watching "You're cut Off," on VH1, you will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An innocent and genuine comment that would have had your Mum absolutely mortified with embarrassment I bet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. I had a friend who was hispanic growing up - but I always would tell my mom that I wanted a little black baby sister just like Nikita :-) Awww - to be young again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHA OMG! youve got to be kidding me. When i was in Grade 8 i was in love with this Trini kid, so in order to keep my secret crush a secret i gave him a code name "dark chocolait" One day as he walked past me i said outloud " i love chocolait!" everyone laughed except him.. he looked at me like i was an idiot and said " ummm me to?" hahaha great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh the innocence of a child...

    I'm sure you were disappointed to grow up and realize that black folks don't taste like chocolate and that loving us all just because we're brown is as prejudiced as hating us all for the same reasons.
    We're as complicated and varied as the Hershey's Mini collection.
    Clearly, I'm Mr. Goodbar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahahahahahahah. Love this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...