Thursday, November 25, 2010

Th**k You


I've always loved Thanksgiving for the food (and the excuse to trace my hand and make it into a turkey wearing a Pilgrim hat), but I've  never really gotten comfortable with the heartfelt thanks part. I used to dread being asked, round-robin style in my classroom or at the dining table, what I was thankful for each year. The pressure was just too much. (Plus, my mouth was usually so full of stuffing that to open it would cause a small breadcrumb avalanche.)

In all seriousness, though, I have so much to be thankful for that it's impossible to put it all into words. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. This year has been a rough one, and I must admit that I'm thankful it's almost over. But a lot of great things have happened, too. Many of you started reading this blog, for one. I got a new job that allows me to go drinking with sailors, watch movies, and make fun of Gerard Depardieu, all while on the clock. I had freelance opportunities open up, I got to reunite with my beloved KevBac (albeit by phone), my amazing mama let me visit her in Rome, and my beautiful sister moved back to New York (she says it's for school but I know it's because she likes watching Teen Mom with me.) Even though I am 30, my father still takes me out to dinner and lets me come over to his house to drink martinis and watch Mad Men on DVR. He swears he will pay for my cable, too, if the Cablevision gods smile upon me and my poor, entertainment-blighted apartment building.

The love of my life puts up with my many moods and tantrums, surprises me with flowers, and literally just brought me a donut while I was in the middle of typing this sentence.

I have an incredible group of friends who are whip-smart, wise, witty, and wonderful. I even made Internet friends this year, other bloggers whom I feel I know even though we've never met.

So even though at times I've wanted to flip the bird--or at least sing a sassy Cee-Lo song--to 2010, I'm going to spend today thinking about all of the people and things I have to be thankful for.

And then I'm going to go to town on some stuffing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

(I'll be busy eating until Monday, so I'm taking the weekend off from blogging. I'm also going to Boston, the home of the Pumpplecake! If you never hear from me again, that is why.)
Share/Bookmark

8 comments :

  1. Enjoy your long, gobbling weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you both:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great job description. Did you find it on Craigs List?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been great the last year(ish) reading your blog. You're a crazy good writer, super funny, and seemingly a pretty awesome person. Hope you have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always dreaded those round-robin things in class, too. My heart would beat like crazy.

    Happy Thanksgiving :) Stuffing rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you two have a great Boston trip.
    2010 wasn't stellar for me either, but there's still so much to be thankful for and a future to be hopeful about, so a Happy Thanksgiving it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:01 PM

    unibrows are back in.
    http://www.globalpost.com/print/5602279

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww! I want a palm turkey too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...