Friday, September 24, 2010

TGI...WTF? Mad About the Man

You know that feeling when you're watching one of your favorite critically-acclaimed TV shows and all of a sudden, the guy you were obsessed with in high school wanders onscreen to make eyes at Peggy Olson?


No? Well, let me tell you, you haven't lived.

The one in the above screen shot (without the poof) is Charlie, who grew up in my neighborhood. He was always an actor. He was in the movie version of Lassie in 1994, which at the time made him super badass even though he played one of the hick villains and his voice hadn't changed yet. I remember watching in the darkened theater as his name appeared in the opening credits, quietly swooning over my popcorn.

Our younger sisters were best friends, which meant our families had dinner occasionally, and sometimes he stopped by to pick up Ruth from our house. I used to sequester myself in my room until what I felt was the right moment, selecting the perfect Troll doll earrings and oversize sweatshirt to wear when I made my dramatic descent down the staircase, looking, I'm sure, like a demented cross between Norma Desmond and Blossom Russo.

I took to my diary to pen the kind of romantic yet chaste odes a blue-balled Jane Austen character might have written. "I don't know if I can bear it. I'm in love." and "He saw my Beatles tape. He said he loved the Beatles. I could have kissed him." (My virginity might have been taken care of had he said he loved Melrose Place.)

I did kiss him eventually. It was pretty much the only exciting thing to happen to me until I went to college and discovered vodka, Lauryn Hill, and the combination thereof.

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad Charlie is doing so well. And if he is reading this, I want him to know that we must never speak of this again.
Share/Bookmark

13 comments :

  1. The guy I was mad about in high school I eventually married. But if he walked across my TV screen, I'd know exactly where to find him after all these years, and drag two decades of back child support out of his ass.

    All swooning long since gone. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entire movies, hell a whole decade of movies in the 80's were derived from and dedicated to your childhood...at minimum your inner monologue. It's like you have a muse affect on the past or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of know how you feel. As it turns out, the guy I was obsessed with in High School is now the drummer of a moderately successful band. When I see girls throwing themselves at him, I want to shout, "sit your gold digging asses down! I liked him when he had pimples and drove a chevette. Oh, and he's only MODERATELY famous!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wild.

    The only thing that I could thing of crazier than that, would be going to a strip club and seeing someone from high school.

    Maybe one day. Dare to dream, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, the story of your first kiss is sooooo much better than mine (though they both happened at age 16). Mine actually coincided with my first date, and I ended up biting his tongue when he put it in my mouth. REALLY embarrassing. :(

    I hope this boy will not be a regular on Mad Men, for your sake. I imagine it would be a little difficult to suspend reality when you are watching someone you know. Also, this sort of thing has the potential to mess with a marriage--it's a lot harder to let go of "the one that got away" when you have to look at him once a week. Why can't high school crushes just disappear into oblivion forever, like they're supposed to? Ugh.

    (I may have a little experience with reignited crush-lust)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've been blogging since 2006?!?!?! I am in awe! I'm hoping that the "boyfriend" who gave you your 5,0000th kiss in the 2006 post in your now-hubsand, because that's so ROMANTIC! Yes, I have an inner preteen girl and she's swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! I actually had that experience, but it was a really good guy friend, that had once tried to kiss me in a drunken stupor. I knew he moved to L.A. to try to make it, and I never heard anything, until I saw him laaate one night on MTV Undressed...in a gay love scene. HA! Imagine my delight...luckily, though...he actually did make a good career for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think EVERYONE at 282 had a crush on him! and when i watched these episodes, i felt EXACTLY the same way. also, he did a really good job in Black Hawk Down. (and Father's Day. HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story! I have had a couple brushes with famous folks. I was in high school musicals with Zach Quinto of Heroes and Star Trek. But nothing where it was someone I dated!

    @ Katie - I do have a similar well to do metal band guitar player who was my best guy friend from high school that is now striving to do well in LA. I live vicariously through his escapades but also sometimes think what groupies are throwing themselves at you now? I knew you when you were 14 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty exciting that someone you knew (and had a crush on) back then is now famous.

    I used to like that chick from Mad Men until I found out she's a Scientologist and that's why she broke up with the dude from SNL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Can you write a post on why people like Mad Men? I watched 5 episodes and thought it was the single most boring show I've ever seen in my ENTIRE LIFE. And I watch a lot of TV.. I keep asking MM fans, but they think I'm trying to make a jab at their taste. I really, genuinely want to know what the appeal is. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. BLOSSOM! TROLL DOLL EARRINGS...

    Whoa. (Said like Joey. From Blossom.)

    My head might explode from happiness.

    On an unrelated note, going back to watch the seasons of the original Melrose Place is a trip. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute and funny story...love this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...