Friday, April 23, 2010

Pedro Lacks Political Experience—Vote for Anna!

Hi guys!

As you know, my computer is infected with some sort of Alanis Morissette swine flu, so my blogging will be somewhat interrupted until it recovers. I can use Jeff's computer (as I am doing now), but it's located in his Man Cave, which is like our apartment's version of the Fire Swamp from The Princess Bride. There aren't any Rodents of Unusual Size but there are Ashtrays of Unusual Fullness and iTunes of Unusual Loudness. Judging by the floor, it is also where all of our socks travel to breed, like in March of the Penguins.

Anyway, there won't be a TGI...WTF today (or at least not till later), because I have a reader request that I felt compelled to share. Reader Anna wrote to me asking if I would help her win a photojournalism scholarship, and you know me—I never shy away from a good deed that doesn't require me to get off my ass. Also I have a soft spot for photographers. (Not that soft spot. I mean my heart, people. My heart.)

Anyway, here's the deal, as explained by Anna:
I'm an aspiring photographer and want to study photojournalism in college, and I recently entered a photo scholarship contest sponsored by SIGMA. It requires the public to vote for the photographers, and the top 3 with the most votes at the end of this April are the only three considered for the scholarship. I need about 400 more votes to get myself in the top 3. 

Vote for Anna here! Let's get her a scholarship! Consider it your good deed for the day (or week, month, year—whatever).

P.S. All you need to do to vote is provide your email and then respond to a confirmation email from Sigma. It went into my Gmail spam folder, so check your spam.
Share/Bookmark

23 comments :

  1. Gotta support my fellow Kansans....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please help me find 70,000 kind hearted people worldwide willing to buy virtual lemonade advertisement plot to help fund for college

    Pixels for Lemonade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how freaking expensive college is, and as an art major I want to show my support. You are wonderful for doing this! Hope your computer kicks this bug asap.

    unravelledthreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, we have a man cave in our house too....the rule is that he can do whatever he wants with it, but I refuse to clean it! The only flaw in the plan is that I have to go through the cave to get to the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. voter number 1176 (LoL) good luck to Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Anna and I are practically neighbors! Voted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on, Anna-- very best of luck to you. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right on, Anna-- very best of luck to you. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:12 PM

    another reader request:

    can you go into detail about how ridiculous tyra banks and her jumpsuits are this ANTM cycle? she wears them all the time and for all the panels and ugh it's so ugly. maybe you can make my sadness for our victoria secret model turned onesie-lover sound a little less bitter?

    if you need a reference: http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=tyra%20banks%20jumpsuit&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,

    Nice blog here. I want you to check out this new book review blog Book Reviews

    Would be great if you want to join our blog. Even otherwise, we'd love to get your feedback

    Cheers
    Booklover

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha...my sister asked me to post an update on FB a couple weeks ago about her boss' lost dog because apparently everyone she knows is constantly telling her how they read my FB updates everyday. I told her that would not make for a very humorous update but that I would do it anyway. However, the dog was not found.

    I did vote for Anna though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really impressive photography. I hope she gets the scholarship; she deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loans are more fun though! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got this email too and am doing the post now :) Go Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  15. voted for anna using all 3 of my email addresses (because i looked & did, in fact, like her the best). good luck to her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, did it. I feel all altruistic and shit now. Too bad I can't get you guys to help me win a scholarship to culinary school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:57 PM

    hey! i love your blog and i get what you're saying about college being expensive and supporting your loyal readers but each and every one of these students is in need of money, not just anna.

    from what i saw on the site, i'd say this is just one big popularity contest, and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooo...love stuff like this. Smart girl, that Anna!

    (What does it mean when the word verification word is "imosyco"? Is it trying to make me admit that I'm a psycho?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't get me wrong, I want this kid to make it to college and have a wonderful career.

    But somehow, in all I feel that we as a generation are getting this wrong. I mean we vote, or rather instigate people to vote for a particular work or a person. And its always that, he needs so and so work, so please vote. Its rarely for the work, rather because he wants to make it in life or achieve something. I mean, this is why I feel that shows like American Idol, etc are sending the wrong message for youngsters and people like me.

    I feel better way would have been for his art to be voted in, because of his talents and his exhibition of it. Rather than to instigate to vote for it, because its a good deed. We would be doing a misdeed in the long run, by voting for this. Anyways my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with the above post. However, helping this ambitious girl get a scholarship is not going to rocket her towards fame, it will just help her with her dreams. Therefore, I feel it's right to vote for her. After all, I'm sure the other contestants are trying the same sort of tactics in order to obtain more votes. KEEP SHOOTING GIRL! :) -A fellow photographer

    http://aide-memoire1991.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm all for altruism. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey guys! Thanks to all who voted, and to those who pointed out the unfairness of the process, I totally understand and mostly agree.

    I hadn't really thought about the fact that it's a popularity contest; I just wanted to help a reader out. And I still feel good about helping Anna, even if the scholarship contest is flawed.

    But if you don't agree, I totally respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah, I get that...And I guess we agree to disagree..:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...