Monday, January 18, 2010

Happiness is A Warm Biopic

There is no way I can get my Golden Globes fashion post up before tonight, so in the interim I'm taking a cue from Hipstercrite. It kind of has to do with the Globes, you'll see. Circle of life, y'all.

Anyway, today on her blog Lauren bemoans being told she looks like celebrities who are not really that attractive, i.e. Courtney love "right after she got plastic surgery." Ha! I can sort of relate to this: I almost never get told I look like anyone famous, but when I do it is—without fail—highly offensive.

My father—who is constantly devastated by people telling him he's a dead ringer for William H. Macy (I myself think he's more of a Frank Sinatra: all ears and smiles and twinkling eyes)—will never live down the day in high school that he told me I looked like Hillary Clinton. Another time, remarking on my jet-black hair, vampire-pale skin and penchant for wearing red, he observed that I kind of reminded him of Michael Jackson.

Even when people are trying to be nice my celebrity look-alikes are laughable. On one memorable night my freshman year, a drunk dude tried to hit on me thusly:

HIM: "Una? Like Uma Thurman?"
ME: "Um, I guess. But with an 'n.'"
HIM: "You're prettier than Uma Thurman."

I am fine with how I look, but that? That is a blatant lie and will not get anyone laid, least of all someone wearing Adidas slip-on sandals and a visor.

If I am casting a movie version of my life in my head (which I do surprisingly often) I consider a few different actors for the leading role: Zooey Deschanel, Alyson Hannigan, Eddie Murphy. But if I'm being really honest with myself, there is only one woman who can truly play me, and that is Jane Adams.


See? She was at the Golden Globes! I told you, circle of life.

You may remember Jane as the nervous anorexic in The Anniversary Party or the lonely teacher who goes on a date with Jon Lovitz in Happiness. She's 44, so maybe she could split the part with Alyson Hannigan, who in truth looks more like my sister but who could pass for me with dark hair and less coordination. For the child version of me, obviously Lourdes Leon was born to play the part. She just needs some skin bleaching and stirrup pants.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments :

  1. LOL @ Lourdes Leon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a case of celebrity look-a-like whiplash once. A little old lady in the supermarket told me that I looked just like Eleanor Roosevelt (that is NEVER a compliment, I don't care how wonderful ER was) and then a UPS driver making a delivery told me I was the spitting image of Linda Hamilton in the Terminator movies all within the space of a few hours in the same day. I didn't kick the old lady, but I did hug the UPS man. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think William H. Macy is hot! Your Dad should feel good about that one.
    I love Jane Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, the dreaded non-complimentary compliment. The one I get a lot that drives me CRAZY is Molly Shannon. It's not that I think she is unattractive, I would just rather be told I look like Jennifer Aniston. What???? It could happen - we all have "interesting noses."

    Can't wait for the Globes recap!! I LURVES your Project Runway recaps, so this one, I'm sure will be just as fab.

    P.S.
    If you're so inclined, check out my own humble recap at http://merciblahblah.blogspot.com.

    Shannan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get Uma Thurman all the time and it upsets me. I used to get that girl from Clueless when I was younger - not so much anymore. Oh, and Baby Spice. When someone compares you to a Spice Girl, it means you should put more clothes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SO much hotter than Uma. And yes, I am asking you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, growing up, my entire grade thought my dad looked like Rowan Atkinson (a.k.a. "Mr. Bean). They go a kick out of calling me "Little Bean."

    I'd take "Little Macy" over "Little Bean" any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get Victor Garber (the Dad on Alias)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I love all of these comments. Thanks, guys.

    And Merci, I will totally check out your recap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we have the same look a likes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...