Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Word on America's Got Talent

I have startlingly low standards for television. I squeal with glee upon discovering that Wipeout and I Survived a Japanese Game Show are on back to back (the only better pair-up is I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant followed by Toddlers & Tiaras. Trust.). But even I must take umbrage at the number of people each week who watch America's Got Talent. I'm going to go on the record here and say that America's Got Talent is not a good show.

The main reason for this, of course, is that any talent America has is off trying to get a spot on American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance. So as far as singers and dancers go, AGT is already sub-par. And then, of course, there are the other "talents." Like playing the banjo or juggling brooms. Ordinarily I would preface this next statement with the words "no offense," but we're talking about people who have willfully put themselves up for judgment by Sharon Osbourne and David Hasselhoff, two celebrities in the loosest sense of the word whose sole thread of commonality seems to be that they have been very drunk on camera, so I'm going to go ahead and let offense be taken. So here it is: if people wanted to watch your obscure talent on TV, there would be an America's Next Top Flautist or So You Think You Can Fence. If the noun or verb that describes your life's ambition is not already part of a reality show, you don't have an audience. And if I sound bitter, yes, it's because Bravo has not returned my calls pitching The Real Bloggers of New York City.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments :

  1. On a vaguely similar vein (not really), you should check out Dating in the Dark, which airs after The Bachelorette. It is weirdly enticing. A show you don't want to watch a whole season of, but maybe just the one episode, but then that happens all season. They cast people who are wholly okay-looking, which makes it somehow appealing. Plus, you know, the whole "dating in the dark" aspect.

    Also, the people doing the rejecting have to walk down a hilariously long and steep driveway, while the rejectee waits on a balcony that is maybe 50 yards from the front door of the house. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I will totally watch that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...