Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holly GoHomely: It's A Wonderful Life


So, for Christmas, like crack for my heart, I Netflixed my favorite Christmas movies: Scrooged (best ever); A Christmas Story; Muppet Christmas Carol; and Santa Claus: The Movie (Ok, full disclosure, I own that one. What? Dudley Moore and John Lithgow = holiday magic, people). I threw in It's A Wonderful Life for good measure. And tonight I watched it. ANd you know what? I've never really watched it before.

Sure, I've had it on in the background while wrapping presents and stuff. But tonight I realized that I had never actually paid attention. For instance, did you know that two of the characters are named Ernie and Bert? And that they play a kind of slapstick scene together? Is that where Jim henson got the idea? Also, there was a store in Park Slope, where I grew up and still live, named Zuzu's Petals... and I never realized that it was named for this movie. Also, Donna Reed is fucking beautiful. I'm just saying. And I'm not even drunk! I have a cold!

It's great when you discover something for the first time. Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Bulding & Loan! Merry Christmas, Frank Capra, you old sap!
Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. For me it's not Christmas until I've watched The Bishop's Wife and Auntie Mame, and listened to my mother play the Peter, Paul, & Mary's Christmas album on a loop. So far, halfway there :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...