Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gimme Some Credit!

Listen, I try to be a good citizen. For instance, I get my teeth cleaned. Maybe not twice a year, but at least once a year. I pay my taxes. I refrain from doing bodily harm to people with whom I do not agree, which, seeing as I ride the subway twice a day, is really something. And then today I tried to go and get my free annual credit report (from this site, which is supposed to be the only one that doesn't screw you) and I was asked to enter the account numbers of three credit cards. I entered my current Amex number and it said that number didn't match any cards on my records. I entered my old Amex number (the one I cut up to keep myself from using and then called in saying it was lost ... oops) and that didn't work either. Then it asked me for the account number on a Victoria's Secret charge card that I canceled in 2003. I know it's sketchy not to know you previous addresses, but old credit cards? Do other people really keep records of this? I can't tell if I'm irresponsible or if the credit people are fucking me over. Please advise.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments :

  1. that just seems odd....and that they (the credit reporting place) wouldn't have your current or previous AmEx numbers? Seems suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 PM

    You can go directly to the sites like Equifax and get a free copy. They still ask weird questions though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...