Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I'm Gonna Make It After All!

(I tried to paste my face onto Marlo Thomas' head, but the result was way too creepy to post)

I know. I KNOW. I’ve been negligent. But listen – I got promoted! Almost a year to the day after I got fired. So, either I’ve grown a lot as a person or I’m getting some very mixed karmic messages.

So, yes, I’m an editor now. I still do a lot of shit work, but I’m an editor, so I don’t care. I have the same general job title as Anna Wintour. I’m twenty-seven and the word “assistant” has officially left the building (or, at least, my resume). Hallelujah, Sallie Mae!

Sorry about that, it’s just … well, let me put it this way: a slightly older mentor/friend of mine sat me down in a Brooklyn coffee shop the summer after I graduated from college. “Una,” she said, “Listen. The next four or five years are going to suck hard, but then everything gets great.”
I didn't listen. I suffered through countless jobs and men that didn't make me happy. I made poor living choices. I bounced checks. I was on unemployment three times. I would sit in my roon and wail, listening to "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree (yes, really).


But now ... suddenly, without fanfare, my life is starting to get good. My mentor/friend was right! Life really sucks for a long time after college ... much longer than any sane person would estimate. So, give yourselves a break newbies. Remember: Momma said there would be four to six years like this (Momma Una, that is -- I mean, Editor Momma Una, oh, fuck it, just Madame Editor is fine).

Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...