Thursday, May 31, 2007

Filipino Malaproprisms, or "Mute and Academic"


Aileen, my wiggly little Filipino firecracker (not literally; she is a real person, and inanimate objects haven't started talking to me ... yet), taught us all some of her country's malaproprisms this weekend. Try to guess what they mean. Some of them make absolutely no sense.


It's a blessing in the sky!

What's a beautiful girl like you?

Been there, been that.

Mute and academic.
That's the way the cookie monsters.


Cut me some slacks!

And, my personal favorite: We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.


Mahal kita, baby.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments :

  1. "Cut me some slacks" deserves at least an honorable mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD. My mom says these hilarious things all the time! The most recent was when she was talking about work and she said, "...that's what they claim, but I see the picture on the wall!" I about died laughing, it was so adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...