Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bad Grammar Makes Me (Sic)

I haven't vented in awhile. It's kind of useless to bitch about grammar when we have a president who says things like "I'm the decider," but the mere existence of Tim Gunn gives me hope.

Okay, so everyone needs to stop saying:

“Smell of” … nothing smells of anything in the United States*. Things smell like other things. i.e., “This subway station smells like urine.”
*If you are British, you are absolved.

“Good on you!” … is only acceptable in the context of “You have something that looks like it tastes good on you … it might be chocolate, and it’s on your lapel. Please let me lick.” When did “Good for you” go out of style? Strunk and White are rolling in their graves.

“Déjà vu all over again.” … Let me break this down: “Déjà vu” means ‘already seen’ in French. SO when you say “It feels like déjà vu”, you are saying “It feels like I’ve already seen/experienced this.” If you say “déjà vu all over again” YOU ARE BEING REDUNDANT and, if I am within earshot, YOU ARE PISSING ME OFF.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. Anonymous2:04 AM

    "deja vu all over again" is a Yogiism. When people say this, they are quoting Yogi Berra.

    Yes it's redundant, but it's the original unintentional humor that is the point.
    If you have a problem with that, you'll also have to get rid of "It ain't over till it's over"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who use "Deja vu all over again" often do not realize they are being humorous. Una takes issue, I think, with this unintentional (and therefore incorrect) use. If someone intentionally used the phrase to mock its redundancy, I suspect our resident grammar policewoman would quite enjoy the joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can NOT take people who say dejavu all over again. I think it was in a recent song too, rite? Totally gets me. But its nice to learn the was meant to be a joke in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...