Thursday, April 5, 2007

Oh-wo, Nu Nu, I can't get you out of my mind

You know when you have a song stuck in your head but you can't remember who sings it, or when you remember a scene from a movie but you can't tell what movie it's from because the scene conveniently has no recognizable actors or scenery, and it haunts you like a torturous lucid dream?

Since 1993, I have been haunted by these lyrics:

When I saw her walking down the street
She looked so fine, I just had to speak
I asked her name, but she turned away
As she walked, all that I could say was
Mmm-hmm yeah yeah, mmm-hmm yeah yeah

I have a vivid memory of listening to this song in my bedroom circa Jr. High-- probably while deciding which pair of Keds to wear with my leggings, or which color rubber bands to attach to my braces -- and thinking it was pretty catchy. Somehow I got it in my head that it was sung by Kid N' Play, those fabulously flat-topped rapper/actors of House Party fame, and ever since I've been searching for that piece of auditory nostalgia. I even bought Face the Nation, y'all. I needed release!

Then, yesterday, I heard it at the gym! It was piped in over the speakers, and my resolve to finally scratch my thirteen year-old itch (and I mean that literally, as in I've been obsessed with this song for thirteen years now ... day-um!) was renewed. That's how I found out that all that really stood between me and Mmmm Mmmm Yeah Yeah was about twenty minutes of Google research.

Kid N' Play -- talented as they are -- did not sing the song. That honor goes to Lidell Townsell, who kind of look like Bel Biv Devoe. Obviously, whoever they are, they are geniuses. Their song is called "Nu Nu". It's their Abbey Road.


Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous3:12 AM

    HI MY NAME IS JEFF SANDFORD AND I JUST WANTED T THANK YOU I WAS ABOUT MAYBE TEN OR LITTLE BIT OLDER WHEN THIS SONG CAME OUT AND MY SSITER HAD IT ON TAPE AND I HEARD IT ALL THE TIME BUT THEN SHE LOST THE TAPE AND I'VE BEEN LOOK FOR THE NAME OF THE SINGERS AND THE NAME OF THE SONG EVER SINCE THAN AND NOW THANKS YOU I FINALLY GOT IT THANK YOU SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...