Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I love chocolate.

In honor of Black History month and Valentine’s Day, I give you the following story:

When I was a little girl, I loved chocolate. There are countless photos of me with it all over my face. I didn’t just love the taste of chocolate; I loved its deep, rich color, too, and as a result I loved black people. I was, I am told, beside myself that I was so pasty and white, and wished to have dark skin.

One day, my mother and I were on the bus and I was seated next to a young African-American boy with very dark brown skin. I stared at him reverently, as he, I imagine, shifted slowly away from the crazy-eyed white girl. And then, unable to contain myself, I spoke.

“I love chocolate.”

I pretty much realized Martin Luther King’s dream right there on the M4.

Happy Valentine’s Day everybody!
Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. "as he, I imagine, shifted slowly away from the crazy-eyed white girl"

    THIS is hilarity.

    Mostly because it's most men's reaction to my apparently belligerent flirting style.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...