Friday, January 26, 2007

Sundancin', Day Two

I am so tired right now, but I promised myself I would do today’s write up tonight so that I don’t fall behind.

We should have seen four movies today, but we only saw three. We had tickets to an 11:30am showing of a drama called “Dark Matter” about a foreign cosmology student, but Dad had the theater wrong, and even though we raced to the finish, we arrived five minutes late and thus were shut out of the screening. They don’t fuck around at Sundance; no late entry is allowed and the theaters are so packed that no one dares to step out for a pee, they all just hold it. To tell the truth, I wasn’t too upset. ‘Dark Matter’ sounded kind of boring, even though it had Aidan Quinn in it (all you ladies who have watched Desperately Seeking Susan know what I’m talking about).

I drove us downtown for lunch (don’t tell Hertz! I’m not on the rental agreement!) We opted for Vietnamese food and beer, and enjoyed the most labyrinthine bathroom trip ever. Afterwards, Dad and I walked up and down Main Street, which is a typical Main Street, full of shops and restaurants. No celeb sightings, with the extraordinarily weak exception of sitting next to Owen Gliberman, film critic for Entertainment Weekly, at lunch. We made sure to arrive extra early for our next movie, a drama called ‘Starting Out in the Evening’, which turned out to set the theme for the day, which I like to call ‘Bitches Who Need a Good Smack’. The film starred Frank Langella as an aging writer who is the subject of an eager young grad student’s thesis. The grad student, played by Lauren Ambrose, is quite simply a bitch who needs a good smack. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVED her in Six Feet Under. But seriously, in this movie? Bitch needs a smack. She’s cloying and pretentious and … this is the worst part … she macks on Frank Langella. It is the most uncomfortable May-December romance I have ever seen. Lili Taylor is in it too, and it says something that I did not want to smack Lili Taylor once. On Six Feet Under all I wanted to do was smack her. I am getting off topic …

The next film was a romantic comedy starring Parker Posey for which I had high hopes, and I am happy to say that I really enjoyed it. It’s called ‘Broken English’, and is essentially about a thirty-something woman searching for love. The great thing about it is that it’s very unconventional. It doesn’t employ too many romantic comedy clichés, it’s very subtle, and, in fact, it’s not that funny. The humor is there, but it’s an undercurrent; there’s a lot of sadness, too. Parker Posey’s character is an interesting heroine because she’s not that likeable (although she’s very relatable). She’s kind of a mess, depressed, awkward … while it pains me to say it, she is at times in need of a slap, and thus she continues my theme of the day.

It was dark when we left the theater, and Dad and I were forced to walk in the road (no streetlights, mind you) to get our car from the church parking lot in which we’d illicitly stashed it. Now, I know a lot of my readers know my Dad, and I want to be careful not to say anything that will sully their opinion of him as a brilliant professional. However, know this: the man walks in front of cars. He always has. He wanders in and out of traffic like he’s got blinders on. If you value him as a friend or a colleague, I beg of you: get the man some reflectors. He should wear them at all times, really.

Back to movies. Well, OK, first we had dinner. It was good, but not good enough to keep me up an extra five minutes writing about it. Our third and final movie of the day was ‘Interview’, starring and directed by Steve Buscemi. It was, essentially, a two-character, one-room drama, and it was riveting. Really great psychological drama. Sienna Miller, who normally I feel kind of eh... about, was impressive as a famous starlet being interviewed by Buscemi’s journalist. However, she completes my bitch-smacking trifecta because there were times at which she did things like: attack someone for no reason, fall on the floor laughing for no reason, have the sound of a barking dog for her ring tone.

I think that’s all I’ve got in me tonight. We have an 8:30 am screening tomorrow, God help me.

Good night.
Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...