Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Yes, The Y'All's Are Back

It's Halloween! To tell the truth, I kind of hate Halloween, because I hate having the kind of attention drawn to me that comes with, say, wearing a leotard and roller skates on the streets of Manhattan. For this reason I've mostly opted for large, shapeless, unweildy costumes and as many grotesque props as possible. I figure if people are going to notice me, I'd rather have it be for lumpiness than for sexiness. I get hit on by enough old men as it is.

The best costume I've ever seen - and I so wish I had a photo to post here - was worn by my sister, Zoe LaMarche, in 1992. Zoe was dressed as a Hershey's kiss, and wore a huge dome made of wire and tin foil. She looked like the cutest little upside-down mushroom, with her little arms and brown tights-clad legs sticking out. The best part, though, was that she was in brownface. It's not racist if it's for art, people. And have you ever seen a beige Hershey Kiss? I didn't think so. Incidentally, if you've never seen a six year-old in a Hershey's Kiss costume roll down a hill, you haven't lived.

This Halloween Jeff and I decided to bring a pair of our alter egos to life. Since Jeff is an actor, and I am just a general spaz, we often have improvised dialogues in character. Our favorite characters, who we brought to life on Saturday, are Earl and Leila Mae, backwards yokels who spend their time discussing the care (or lack thereof) of their numerous children, all of whom are named Earl (with numerous 'Jr.'s tacked on to the end). I like to think I'm a fairly cosmopolitan girl, but put me in a mullet and I am walking a scary Aileen Wournos-Chryssie Hynde line.

Jeff really blew me away with his Earl costume. Mostly I just couldn't get over his resemblance to Patrick Swayze in Point Break.













This just makes me so excited for future family Sears portraits:




















Happy Halloween, y'all!
Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...