Monday, February 27, 2006

Life Patterns

Most of us are aware that certain life patterns haunt -- or delight -- us over decades. Some people have commitment issues, or Freudian preferences for partners. Others have repeated good or bad luck with things like jobs, apartments, or pets. What I've noticed, lately, though, are smaller, more intricate and mystifying patterns in my life, and I wonder if other people have them, too.

Example # 1: THE BAD DAY

On February 27, 2002, I was dumped.
On February 26, 2005 I had a big fight with my boyfriend.
On February 25 and 26, 2006, I had another fight with the same boyfriend.

To be totally fair, I have not kept records of other February 25ths through 27ths, but these three occurrences lead me to believe that this group of days may be a truly horrifying astrological match for me.

Example #2: NAMES/THE ALPHABET

From grade school through college, one male name ruled my life: Charles. When I was ten I developed a deep crush on Charles Kee that lasted through seventh grade. In high school I obsessed about Charlie Hofheimer. In college, I met and fell in love with Charlie Meyer (it was platonic love, seeing as he was -- and still is -- gay, but still, for two years he was, decidedly, the man in my life).

When I finally started dating straight men, three of my only four real boyfriends had names that began with the letter 'J': Joe, Jake, and (still my main squeeze) Jeff.

Example #3: THE CLOCK

This one is the strangest one of all.

At least five to six times a week, I look at the clock when it is 4:13. This stands out to me because the numbers happen to correspond to my birth date, April 13. I often wonder if I really see 4:13 more than any other time of day or if I just notice it more because of its affiliations, but I'm fairly certain that it is a bit uncanny and special.

And, no, I don't mean "special" like Special Olympics.

Feel free to share your strange patterns. I want to know if I am alone in this.
Share/Bookmark

11 comments :

  1. as your biggest fan I would like to request that you update this thing hourly...if thats too difficult then daily should be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone11:45 AM

    I personally have a Kryptonite Name theory, that there is one name out there that makes you weak and that's just bad for you. My first love was a Will, last one a Bill. Now, in my apartment, there's only one thing up on the walls in my room, a framed sonnet, by William Shakespeare. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chessa1:05 PM

    I was told by someone that your life does in fact go in cycles, and that roughly 30-60 days before your birthday you will always go through a rough, possibly life-changing, patch. And that by your birthday you're on the upswing and soon after can grapple with new challenges. November-December is often hellish for my relationships, including two major breakups. Could explain your evil February days. Or could be CRAP. Dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so strange. It's been happening to me since as long as I can remember. I was born on Oct. 24, 1942; therefore my eye catches 10:42 as well as 10:24. Since I'm usually wide awake at both 10 am and 10 pm, you can imagine frequency of these eye snags. Cousin Pat
    P.S. It doesn't happen to my husband (1/12/32) Maybe it's a female thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Who dumped you On February 27, 2002?? why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous -- My first real boyfriend -- and first love -- broke up with me on what was our one-year anniversary, Feb 27. I could say he was a jerk and that there was no reason but actually he was and is a sweetheart, and I was a little too clingy and emotional. So, short answer is, that's why. But it sucked! --Una

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:57 AM

    wow that's big of you to not resent..do you still keep in touch or see him? I personally find it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having devoured all your current postings, I decided to start reading at the beginning... Even if I'm posting 3+ years later, I have an eerie pattern to add. My first apartment after college was #306. A year later, I bought a condo (my hometown is cheap)... the number? 306. It wasn't until I received #306 as an office at work that I started to REALLY notice the number, but it caused me to look back in my planner to find my first date with a guy whom I'd had dreams about before I met, and I realized the pattern carried on in more ways... as our first date was March 6th. That guy failed, I'm no longer at the job with the office, and I rent out my condo, but nonetheless I find myself wondering what the meaning of #306 is in my life. I'm hoping it's something positive (like, on a score of 1-100, how awesome is my boyfriend? 306!), but in morbid moods I wonder if that's my deathaversary. My fingers are crossed that it's the number of times I'll buy a lotto ticket before winning (304 left to go).

    Anyway! I'm a fan Una!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Sasha. I can't believe you made it all the way back here! :) Soon you'll be reading the Friendster blog. I'll start posting some high school diary entries so that people can see the seeds of sass begin to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:51 PM

    i know this is an old post but im a new reader and really enjoy ur stuff so im catching up... i see 10:24 EVERYWHERE which is the day my dad died. i find it comforting in a weird way and like to think it's him saying "hey i'm still here".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also a new reader starting from 'Una's Very Beginnings on Blogspot,' and I too feel compelled to comment on this post even though it's (almost exactly!) 5 years old now. My birthday is Dec. 26th, and I just so happen to look at the clock at 12:26 all the time. I've been noticing it for years, and have also wondered if the number just sticks with me more because it's my birthday, or if it's some kind of cosmic fate.

    And then my boyfriend's lucky number is 108. It is definitely cosmically attached to him somehow. He ends up in seat 108 when we see shows. The first law school that's accepted him after three years of applying sent him a letter from 108 Hofstra University. There are an insane number of other examples, but I can't think of them right now, because it's - oh look - 12:26 in the morning, and I am sleepy.

    So I guess what I'm saying is that it's definitely not just you, and I hope that next week everything goes smoothly and without incident.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...